Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Weak Made Strong


 I once read that people who are accustomed to learning quickly may fail to play the violin, because they are not used to having to work for something.  Conversely, people who have always had to work hard in school or life often learn the violin very well, because they have the patience and tirelessness to play until it starts sounding like it should.

It seems to me that much the same kind of thing happens with courage.  One who is naturally fearless does not know how to be brave when the time comes, and one who is naturally fearful knows how to overcome the fear when the time comes.  I know, because fear has always been my life, and it has made me brave.  

In the same way, people who are always comfortable may not know how to react when they are no longer comfortable, but if every zone is out of their comfort zone, there is nothing to fear in the uncomfortable, for it is normal.  When I am constantly fighting insecurity, I am constantly exercising my understanding of Truth and using the Word of God to fence lies.  My weak insecurity therefore makes me, in many ways, more strong than those naturally secure.  My strength is only perfected in weakness, because I am too weak to be strong naturally.  My security must be fought for with tooth and nail until I stand against the lies of the Enemy with dreaded fierce joy--for joy has to be fierce to stand firm.

"When I am weak, then I am strong," says Paul, placing an oft quoted Christian enigma in front of me.  My infallibly weak self nods in agreement.  Gratitude for my weakness is gratitude for His strength.  Acknowledgement of my failure is praise to His glory alone.  

Insecurity has always been part of my life, as much as fear, as much as failure.  Thank Jesus for it, for if I was secure, and fearless, and practically perfect, I would not be as strong as I am.  


No comments:

Post a Comment